Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Question of the day

Round two...

Question: Which would you prefer: a wild turbulent life filled with joy, sorrow, passion and adventure - intoxicating successes and stunning setbacks; or a happy, secure, predictable life surrounded by friends and family without such wide swings of fortune and mood?

Answer: It may just be my mood today, but I think I'd choose the happy, secure and predictable life. Part of me (like most people, I imagine) would like to feel that they experienced life to the fullest and that in the end, it was a fabulous life. Sometimes I get really caught up in that idea of "living life to the fullest." It sounds like a good plan. And no doubt - I envy people that can pick up and leave the comfort and security of day-to-day life for a new adventure, but I'm just not sure I'm one of them. I have several friends who do just that. They fall in love and move across the country (or world) to be with the object of their affection, they study abroad for a year or so, they quit their jobs and move around with no real idea of where they'll live or how they'll pay the bills. Such a refreshing concept to me - yet absolutely terrifying. Does that mean I'm not living life to the fullest? I'm not sure. I guess part of me does, but part of me is quite content to keep going the way I'm going. I like knowing what's coming next, where I'm spending the night, how much money will be deposited into my account on payday. What gives me real joy is actually the simple stuff. Spending time with friends and family, getting the job done, arts and crafts on my coffee table (just looking at the mess I've made tonight...), and knowing that I'm living independently.

That being said - I think it would definitely do me some good to incorporate some spontaneity into my life. (Hehe - even that sounded like planning it in...) Last time I was reading a personality book (yes, I do that from time to time - I love gaining more insight to my personality) it said that I should just go to the airport one day and hop on a plane. No pre-purchased ticket, no definite destination in mind. Just hop a flight. The idea exhilarates me and seems foolish at the same time. Would I do it? Probably. Though I think I'd enjoy it more with a friend.

Maybe that'll be my next adventure - once these freaking conferences are over for work.

In the meantime - what do you guys think? Better to be a free spirit and go anyway the wind blows or are you happier to live the day-to-day? Ideas for ways to keep from thinking that you're not living life to the fullest?

1 comment:

Roger said...

I tend to agree with you--it's false dichotomy of "wild swings meanings living life to the fullest and predictable means you've sold out". Personally, I feel that once you have a (mostly) predictable existence, that actually liberates you to take advantage of all kinds of stuff. And, if something you're taking advantage of goes horribly awry, you've got the safety net to re-stabilize and try again.