Monday, September 18, 2006

Introducing....

Well, I haven't chosen a name yet, so I guess I can't officially introduce her - but this is my new puppy.

I've had an unbelievably busy week and weekend. Nicole's bachelorette party was Saturday night and Sarah's baby shower was today. So what did I decide to do Saturday morning? Go to the city pound and look around to see if they had any dogs that fit what I was looking for. In I went and who did I see? This little cutie staring up at me with those big brown eyes.

After playing with her for awhile and talking to the vet techs I made the plunge and put in the adoption paperwork. She needed to be neutered before they could release her to me so today she went through the surgery and I picked her up this evening. She's still a little drugged up and generally sleepy, but she's also behaved amazingly.

She and Maverick have been introduced. Maverick seems mostly curious and a little territorial. He'll come over and smell her, she stands there and takes it. Occasionally Maverick will hiss. Right now, it appears that Maverick has laid claim on my bedroom - laying in the doorway and just watching the dog. Meanwhile, the puppy isn't letting me out of her sight and is currently curled up at my feet taking a nap. I'm working hard to reassure Maverick and make sure he's getting attention. So far, so good though. I'm very glad the puppy didn't come on like gangbusters though. :-)

As far as particulars go... the new puppy is an 8-month old terrier. There's some disagreement about the particular breed. When I look at her I see Rat Terrier. The shelter said she was a Fox Terrier (which I just don't see at all) and the vet tech says she's a Jack Russell. Who knows. Anyway you go about it - she's definitely a terrier. She came to the shelter as a stray so there's not much known about her, but she seems to be in good health and very people friendly.

I'm still working on names. The top two runners at the moment are Irie and Addie. Irie is a word I learned in Jamaica which means lots of things but is often used to say "Everything is alright." Addie I just like. But I'm going to do a little more looking tonight and see what I come up with. When I got Howie it was just immediate - I looked at him and knew he should be named Howie. With this one I'm not so sure.

Anyway, without any further ado - here are a few preliminary pics. More will be coming soon I'm sure.


This is the eyes half shut look.

What a cutie!

And not to be out-done. This is my new couch. I love it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I Miss Howie!!:( love abby