Monday, February 05, 2007

Making today better

The current temperature outside right now is -4 degrees (and it feels like -21). The high today is 5. Apparently this is the worst of it and we should get back into the teens tomorrow, but trust me when I say, IT'S COLD! So in light of the miserable weather, I thought I'd share with you some of my ideas on what would make my life better.

1) long underwear that have a foot hole (kind of like the old-school leg-warmers did) There's nothing better than long underwear that just don't quite cover your ankles....

2) one of those face masks that cover your entire face with just enough slits in them to allow you to breathe and see

3) a cleaning staff that does not close my office door over the weekend so that when I come in on Monday mornings it's like an ice-box in here

4) a litter-box trained dog

5) a device that could teleport me from the comfort of my living room to my office (or other location) without me ever having to step foot outside. (This would make most of the above obsolete, so if any of you out there have ideas, let me know.)

For as much complaining about the cold weather as I do, there are a few positives as well. The first and foremost being, I don't feel bad about sitting on the couch all weekend doing nothing because it's literally too cold to go outside. And the other would have to involve cuddling with my super sweet puppy who's always nice and warm.

Exactly one month from today I will be on a plane headed down to Mexico for a week. Current temperature there: 73 degrees with a high of 85. One more month....

In other news... the Bears lost. But, really, I'm happy for the Colts. Maybe I'm just not a true football fan (maybe nothing - I'm just not) and maybe I'm just older and not in the same crazy crowd that would've been nuts about going to the Super Bowl, or maybe it's just because it's too cold outside, but I really felt like the Bears going to the Super Bowl was nothing big. I mean, I remember the Bulls doing their 6-peat and the streets erupting in chaos. I remember the Cubs just making it to the playoffs and the entire city being insane. But the Bears... yeah, there was a little bit of hype, but just not that much. I kind of understood the lack of enthusiasm about the White Sox, but just seems a little odd with the Bears. Oh, well. Chicago sports.

My office is slowly returning to a temperature that will allow me to unbundle, so I should go get some work done. Hope everyone's surviving the weather - and for those of you in nice climates, well, you just suck. :-)

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I was just remembering back to the days when I would open my dorm room door to go to class and then shut it again when the weather literally hit me in the face. Nothing like Chicago winters! And the people here are complaining about the cold; little do they know...