So, I'm in Nashville for work this weekend. I had a facilitator training here today and because of goofy flight schedules I had to fly in Friday and can't leave until tomorrow morning. Other than just having to be away from home, this actually isn't so bad. I really enjoy Nashville.
I got in yesterday afternoon (after some crazy travel problems) and wandered around downtown for awhile and was reminded why I love this place. It was the middle of the afternoon and I was able to just aimlessly walk into bar after bar, sit down and listen to great live music. Yes, I enjoy country music, so that helps, but there was really a lot of variety out there. I love that I can order a Bud Light and look down the bar and see at least half the bar is drinking the same thing. I love that the bands don't take themselves too seriously and are just having fun. I like that everyone says hi.
So I ended the day thinking, why do I live in Chicago? And then, I remembered.
After my training was over today I headed down the street to get some BBQ and then go on to this City Festival that's going on. I was thinking, man, what could be better. I just happened to hit the weekend when there's a big festival in town - free music, fun atmosphere.
So I'm walking down the street towards the festival and I start to see people wearing christian themed t-shirts, accessories, etc. I think it's a little odd, but whatever. Then I walk by a festival tent that's labeled "Prayer Tent". Yikes. I start to pay more attention to everything around me. I tune into the blaring speakers and, yup, I was in the midst of a christian festival, complete with a preacher telling me over the loud speaker to give up my life to god.
Awesome!
Yeah, I can't take that. As much as I love country music and just generally am happy in this atmosphere, I just can't take the thinking. Too bad. I made a u-turn and headed back to the hotel. I may venture out again after the festival is over. We'll see.
No comments:
Post a Comment