It's been a big month for us "Potterites" (as I hear we're called.) On July 11th, the 5th movie (Order of the Phoenix) was released. I purposefully did not re-read the book before I saw the movie so that I wouldn't be so in-tune to things they left out of changed which proved to be a smart move. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, the movies will never come close to the richness of the books, but it was good. Even better I got to see it at the IMAX so the last twenty minutes were in 3D. Cool. :-)
And then this past Friday, it was mass "potter"monium. The 7th (and final) Harry Potter book was released at midnight Friday night. I've never taken part in the release parties before, but since this was the last book, I felt it was an experience I should have. Oh, and it was an experience.
First I had to arrive at the bookstore at 6pm to get a bracelet. The number on the bracelet indicated what "buying group" I would be in when the book actually went on sale at midnight. Even the line to get the bracelet snaked around the store. So I spent a good 45 minutes waiting in line with some pretty entertaining people trading theories on what would happen in book 7. The best part was honestly to look around the store at everyone in line and find that a good 80% were over the age of 25. Just made me laugh.
With a few hours to kill before the "midnight madness" party started at 10pm, I went and grabbed dinner and went to see "Hairspray" at the theater next door. (Hysterical, by the way!)
At 10, I returned to the bookstore and was met with magic potion demonstrations, the sorting hat, costume contests. It was hilarious. I think I spent the majority of the next two hours just watching people.
I think my favorite quote from the evening was from a little girl (probably about 8 years old) who was there with her slightly over-excited mother. The little girl looks up at her mom who's jabbering away about how exciting this all is and says, "Can I lay down for a little while?"
Luckily I was in the 2nd group to get called to buy books, so I was actually out of the store by 1am and at home reading by 1:30!
While I was intending the weekend to be devoted to reading, I actually didn't end up getting much in. I still have a good 3/4 of the book left, and I'm already stunned by what all has happened. I actually had some nightmares last night. It's crazy! I'm not sure how all the younger kids out there are going to deal with this, but man, JK Rowlings sure didn't waste any time diving into the meat of this book.
So, now I'm anxiously counting the hours until I can go home and get back to reading - and hoping that I don't run into any "spoilers" along the way!
Here are a few pictures I took of "Midnight Madness."



No comments:
Post a Comment