I'm on day two of a mild stomach bug and I'm officially BORED!
Working at home definitely has it's advantages (especially when you don't want to be far from the bathroom), but it also means I really have to find excuses to leave the house and when I'm not feeling well, that becomes even more unlikely.
I think I have watched at least 6 hours of NCIS re-runs in the last two days and countless other shows. Today I at least felt well enough to do some laundry and pick up the house a bit, but otherwise, I haven't been up to much other than work.
So, what better to do then take this time to do some blog updating, right?
Honestly, I think I've mostly just been pre-occupied with my new nephew on the way. I just keep waiting and waiting - as I know many people are. I do hope now that he holds off on his arrival until after Kathleen's sister's wedding this Friday though. I know she really wants to be there! But I am very excited to have a new little baby around to spoil.
Ryan and I stole Lily for a little while this past Saturday and took her to Monkey Joe's (a local inflatable playground place.) As Carl says, I believe I have been typecast into the role of "the aunt who takes Lily to Monkey Joe's." When I called Carl up this weekend to see when would be a good time to take Lily, she got on the phone and said, "You know what we should do? We should go to that jumpy place you took me to before."
It was a wild time. Our friends Hogan and Danelle brought their kids and met us there but unfortunately the kids were not real interested in playing together. Lily really wasn't very interested in playing with anyone. She spent most of her time in dramatic play, acting out interesting scenarios in the middle of the jumpy rooms while the other kids jumped around her. It was pretty funny. We had a few moments of true drama, mostly involving the candy necklace that Lily was wearing. At one point a younger kid in one of the jumpy areas grabbed it and the string broke, spilling the candy all around Lily. Serious issue. Luckily Ryan was there to save the day and climbed into the jumpy room to gather up all the candies and then we restrung them. Lily was still upset as we completed this process - when I asked her why she burst into tears again and said that she didn't want me "to tell mommy and daddy." I promised I wouldn't (this doesn't count by the way!) She often makes these kind of statements ("Don't talk about that." "Don't tell anyone that.") I just think it's funny that she gets so worked up over it, but I remember those feelings from being young too. Perhaps she's even more like me than I thought - quite the desire to not be seen in a negative light and be a bit "perfect" to the outside eye. Or maybe I'm projecting. Either way, it's interesting.
Another thing she has taken to doing with me lately is telling me all about limits. She often announces to me that mommy and daddy let her do this or don't let her do that or that she "thinks she's had enough candy for today." That one made me laugh. As did when she told me she's not allowed to eat candy anymore because she went to the dentist and he said she couldn't. Really? And how much candy have you consumed in the past week?
But I think my favorite Lily-ism of late happened when I was in the waiting room with her during one of Kathleen's baby check-up appointments. Lily had been busy entertaining a fellow waiting room guest with songs (luckily the woman was very accommodating). As a bit of a distraction the lady and I were asking Lily questions about the new baby. Lily informed us that the baby would be about this big (making a small circle with her hands.) We both laughed and I said that I thought the baby would be a little bigger than that, about the length of Lily's arm perhaps. She gave me an eye role and somewhat under her breath sang sweetly, "You don't know anything about babies..." She cracks me up.
Ryan and I also made our first visit to the St. Louis Ethical Society (where Lily had her naming ceremony a few years back) this weekend. It was a different meeting than they normally are as apparently it was "ethical action day", so there were mostly just presentations from various people about projects the Ethical Society has been involved in and upcoming projects. We're planning on going back this weekend and checking out a more normal meeting. We met another young couple that were also there for their first time and enjoyed talking with them about their thoughts as well. From past experiences and the couple of people we met last weekend, it's an interesting mix of people, but all friendly. I like the idea of being involved with it as a community and I really like that it focuses on values and leaves out all the dogma. Feels much more comfortable to me. I think Ryan, being raised Catholic, is particularly interested in figuring it all out, so we're looking forward to going again. I was also pleased to see more age variety in this society as opposed to the one in Chicago. Lots of little kids and I enjoyed getting to see the variety of book topics in their children's reading room.
This coming weekend is Ryan's birthday so I'm hoping I'll be feeling much better and we'll get to do some fun stuff to celebrate.
No comments:
Post a Comment