Friday, December 11, 2009

A lot to be thankful for

I was contemplating sending holiday cards (and I still may), but then I decided I have lots of things that I'm particularly thankful for this year that I'd like to share, so then I though how about a holiday letter... but I'm just not sure I'm quite to the point in my life that a holiday letter seems age appropriate. So instead... or for the minute anyway, I want to share a little recap of some of the things that have made this year... memorable.

Ryan and I have officially been in St. Louis a full year now. And I think it's safe to say, we like it here. We're still figuring out what our favorite places are, and what all is here, but we're enjoying the process.

In addition to living in St. Louis, Ryan and I have been living together for a year now and it has been great. Having never lived with a significant other before, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but I truly love living with Ryan. I even enjoy the silly things we bicker about from time to time.

And in addition to living in St. Louis and with Ryan, I am also very thankful for the purchase of our new house. The house has been a constant source of entertainment and stress and joy. I love, love, love this house. And all the weird eccentricities of it. And I love that there are so many things we want to do with it, even if that does lead to some stress over what to do when and how to pay for it!



Though my job can drive me utterly insane, I'm very glad to have it and to be employed by a place that is doing something I believe is important and to work with co-workers who are truly great. Especially in light of the economic difficulties and unemployment so many are facing, I do feel blessed, for lack of a better term.

I feel very lucky to have been introduced to a great organization here in St. Louis called Stray Rescue that, in turn, introduced us to our new pup, Tuesday. I can not believe that Tuesday has only been with us about 10 months as she has become such a main stay of our lives. She is so happy and excitable and loving and even Irie thinks she was a great addition.



And speaking of Irie - she may not be something new this year, but I still adore her! I've really enjoyed getting back into agility class with her and teaching her new tricks like rolling all the way over this year.

We've had some sad events this year too, like the loss of Ryan's Grandma last spring, but we also welcomed my nephew, William, to the family. There's nothing quite like a new baby to make me smile and feel all warm and fuzzy inside. With new babies comes cute little outfits and warm snuggles and getting to know a whole new little person.



And Lily continues to amaze me. She's so much her own person these days and while she can be trying to entertain from time to time, I just love spending time with her and seeing her mind work. Simply amazing. I'm so glad to live nearby and be able to take her on little adventures.

I am also so very thankful for the new friends we have made in St. Louis as they have made it so much more enjoyable! Finding new friends takes time, but I so enjoy the ones we have found so far.

Of course, I am even more thankful (if that's possible) for my old friends who, though I don't live nearby anymore, still take the time to call me and tell me they miss me and work with me to find time for us to get together. Life would not be the same without you.

And last, but certainly not least, I am so grateful for my family. Every family has their share of issues, but I am so happy to be a part of mine. There's so much love and support and humor there. I can't wait to see so many of you this holiday season!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said.

Also, I am thankful that Irie finally calmed down this year :)