Friday, June 17, 2011

Wild wedding week

This has been a week of wedding mania. Sarah came down last weekend and we spent an inordinate amount of time hitting multiple bridal salons to look at "accessories". Happily, on Sunday afternoon, we finally found all the goods we were looking for. So that is a big item checked off the list!

Ryan and I have also had wedding appointments pretty much every day this week. We've done two cake tastings, two flower consultations and did a caterer tasting. It's been busy! And I think both of our brains are now whirling with all the options!

We haven't decided on cakes yet - I think there's still one more place we want to look at, but there's some good options out there! I think I like the cake tastings best, not just because I get to eat cake (which is a definite plus), but the cake situation is just so easily determined. There's a hard cost that it's relatively easy for the bakers to quote us, there's no add on charges. They deliver it and set-it up. All we really have to do is pick flavors and a design. That's the kind of decision making I like!

The flowers and food are a bit more complicated. The flowers just because it's really hard for me to visualize what it is the florists are describing and it's not something they can just show me a sample of. I think I'm fairly trusting of florists and will assume they will make good decisions, but it is a bit tough to decide what the main flowers should be.

And the catering.... the catering has been a constant annoyance from the beginning. The caterer we tried out last night definitely had the best tasting food and the price is good, so I think we will end up going with him, but I'm just blown away by the fact that none of the caterers we've met with have been able to give firm answers to many of our questions. There just seems to be so many possible charges and changes that it makes me very nervous.

However, the BEST part of the catering adventure was when one of the chef's cut the tip of his thumb off while preparing a tasting menu for us. We felt horrible for the guy, but were also a little disturbed by the whole thing. He was serving the food as well and every time he came out of the kitchen, the bandage he had wrapped around his hand was more full of blood. Not exactly appetizing. And my favorite was when he offered to show it to me. Nice. :-) It was so bad, we actually asked if he wanted us to take him to the ER or call someone for him. He said there was nothing they could do and that he had another appointment after us so he was going to work through it. At one point I looked over at Ryan and whispered, "This would only happen to us."

We also ordered our invitations this week, so those should be coming soon! I think I've kicked it into high gear this past few weeks after being a bit lax for the last couple of months!

Next is the family shower and bachelorette party! Now the fun really begins!

No comments: